Karisimbi Business Partners is a socially motivated management consulting firm helping business leaders make strategic decisions. For over a decade, across 170 engagements covering every economic sector, we have added value and trusted advice to address the business challenges and opportunities in Rwanda and the region. Karisimbi Partners brings an owner’s mindset and a desire to make a difference to every intervention– assuring tangible impact well beyond consulting deliverables. Perhaps you should consider doing the same
Job Description and Key Responsibilities
This key leader of Karisimbi Partners must be prepared to embody the company’s vision, mission, and values. In addition, this executive will need to have a passion for solving the problems business leaders face and nurturing an international and local team of excellent consultants. A background that includes operational management and P&L responsibility for a new or growing business is highly valued since this person will be in charge of the company’s financial management (and possibly human resources). Reporting directly to the Managing Director, this individual will join the existing leadership for all Rwanda-based operations of Karisimbi Partners. As such, the successful candidate will be relied upon to create high-level visibility and participate in business development activity, apart from their primary work connecting great people (consulting team) to meaningful projects (client deliverables) to meet or exceed the needs of our clients.
This role favors a candidate who can think as a generalist with management experience across project management, business development, finance, human resources, and operations management. The Director will work with existing leaders to supervise the day-to-day aspects of running a small and growing consulting company, including project delivery, human resources, business development, finance, and administration. The current team comprises eight professional and administrative staff and leverages partnerships with regular sub-contractor consultants as needs require.
- Project Management- 25%
- Financial and Operations management- 45%
- Business Development- 30%
The ideal candidate will have the following qualifications:
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills are essential, as this person will lead and participate in client deliverables
- Demonstrated analytical ability, a keen sense of operational realities, and financial analysis aptitude
- Required: fluency and advanced capacity in English language speaking and writing.
- Highly desirable: working knowledge or fluency in Kinyarwanda, French, or Swahili
- Preferred: strong contacts and familiarity with the Rwandan business environment
- Required: relevant bachelor’s degree in management, human resources, finance, marketing, entrepreneurship, international business, or other relevant fields
- Strongly desired: an MBA from a highly respected institution; Other relevant advanced degrees also desirable
The ideal candidate will be able to demonstrate experience in the following areas:
- Extensive experience (5+ years) in finance and operations management
- Proven leadership and communication skills, with a capacity to guide clients toward solutions to complex issues
- Prior experience as the founder or leader of a business is greatly desired
- Preferred: experience in supervising the day-to-day aspects of running a consulting company, including project delivery, accounting, finance, legal, human resources, administration, and logistics
- Preferred: experience at a top-tier management consulting firm
The ideal candidate will possess the following:
- The candidate will need to demonstrate integrity and uphold the mission and values of the company, as key for ensuring the reputation of the company
- A desire to promote and defend equal opportunities, lead a diverse team, and nurture talent from unexpected places
- Encourage organizational and individual responsibility towards the community and the environment
- An aptitude for building strong relationships with clients and staff
- An aptitude for developing a wide and strong network of contacts outside the organization
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to set high standards for the team and focus on excellence
- Ability to achieve project goals and organizational objectives
The candidate will be based in Kigali, Rwanda, and will likely collaborate with partners and associates based in different locations in the region as well as the US and Europe. Limited travel within the region and outside the continent may be required for the purposes of research and business development.
A Director with Karisimbi Partners would need to be willing to make at least a three-year commitment to the position.
One of the fundamental aspects of Karisimbi Partners’ business model is leveraging well-trained, educated, and experienced business people that are motivated by a desire to add value and impact to East African businesses. As such, all Karisimbi Partners leaders serve at rates below what they could achieve elsewhere but find that participating in such a mission offers rewards and meaning beyond conventional forms of compensation.
There is potential for additional compensation beyond the salary provided for particular candidates and situations to ensure competitive levels within the Rwandan market. The Director and other employees may share in the profits achieved by the company each year, as well as bonuses, as determined with periodic review and the accomplishment of key milestones.